The best leaders know that their education is never over. They constantly seek knowledge that will better their chances for success. And many of the most successful business leaders have read the following five books.
Whether you’re a seasoned leader or new to management, these five works are essential to your professional development.
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
One of the best-selling business books of all time, 7 Habits has sold more than 15 million copies and has been translated into 38 different languages. This highly influential book takes a people-focused approach, helping you develop personally and professionally. Through his 7 Habits, Covey guides you from dependence on others to interdependence, helping you achieve your goals.
The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century by Thomas L. Friedman
Three-time Pulitzer Prize winner and New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman brings us this fascinating view of globalization in the 21st century. Friedman explains how, beginning in the early 21st century, globalization caused the flattening of the world; what it means to countries, companies, communities, and individuals; and how governments and societies must adapt.
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Written in 1936, this book was one of the first best-selling self-help books ever. With over 15 million copies sold to date, its message still resonates with people today. Carnegie focuses on the fact that humans are first and foremost creatures of emotion rather than logic. Among other things, he states that success is only 15 percent professional knowledge — the remaining 85 percent is “the ability to express ideas, to assume leadership, and to arouse enthusiasm among people.”
In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America’s Best-Run Companies by Thomas J. Peters and Robert H. Waterman, Jr.
A longtime must-have for any business professional, In Search of Excellence is based on a study of 43 of America’s best-run companies from a diverse array of business sectors. Even though America’s best-run companies have changed since the book was written in 1982, the eight principles of management described in the work have not.
Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors by Michael E. Porter
Having transformed the theory, practice, and teaching of business strategy, this groundbreaking book is a must-have for any business professional. Porter’s Competitive Strategy changed conventional thinking about strategy, proposing a method whereby a company can examine not just its particular industry, but its place in it.